Adventures in Rhythm

So many people are taking advantage of the Music Teacher Facebook Frenzy happening NOW starting at my Facebook page until Monday, March 31st!  I took the round myself and I'm so excited about some of the new FREE resources I have for my classroom.

I thought I'd post a little about the activity I offered free for this event and the other versions I'll be posting shortly at my store on Teachers Pay Teachers.


Since I originally made this product, I've renamed it. "Ultimate Rhythm Adventurer" was a bit of a mouthful. I felt "Adventures in Rhythm" was a bit smoother.  Either way, the product is the same. :-)

Included in the packet are 16 pages (2 to a page- 32 rhythms total) of rhythms including "Syncopa", "Ti-Ti", "Ta", and "Rest".


I've also included low color pages for those people who must print their items at home or have a bit more restrictive policy on color printing in the School District.


This group of rhythm cards can be used in an intensive rhythm lesson or spread out over time.  My students seem to work better when they've had time to let things process so I tend to break activities up over numerous weeks.

This is the process I've set up for my classes. ** Remember, however, that all of these processes are suggestions.  Your imagination and student needs make take you elsewhere with these cards. **

In students' first experience with this activity, they each receive a rhythm which they either must read individually, with a partner, or a small group.  Then the class sits in a circle with their assigned rhythm on the floor in front of them.  The teacher decides where the beginning of the circle is, and the class begins keeping a steady beat by patting on their laps.  The challenge of this part of the activity is reading through the rhythms without any person dropping the beat or misreading their rhythm.  If a student  misreads or drops the beat they move one student down toward the end of the circle.

In another session, students receive a rhythm and set up in a circle as before.  They also keep a beat and read rhythms as before, but this time not only do they read their rhythm but also the rhythm of the person to their right.

As an extension of this activity in another session, students are set up as before, but this time the teacher uses the monkey cards to give an extra challenge to students.



When a student receives a monkey card, they must read three rhythms starting with the student on their left, their card, and the student to their right. I would use these cards with very clear instruction beforehand with a couple of students walking through the steps as examples. During the game, I would also make sure students who receive the monkey cards have a couple of students' time to think about what they have to do.

Monkey cards are great for when the game is in a lull or you have some really bright students that need an extra challenge.

In future experiences, students can begin using instruments like lummi/rhythm sticks.  I have a set of bucket drums I plan on using.  For the beat, students will tap on the sides of the drum, and for the rhythm, students will get to tap the top.

After students have had numerous experiences with rhythms and the way the game works, this can be a really fun game for small groups of 6-10 students in a Music Center setting.

These can also be used as individual assessment rhythms.

This is how I've set up using these cards, but I'd love to hear how you use them in your classroom! Let me know either in the comments below or at my store if you purchased them, on my Facebook page, or Twitter feed.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment