Under the Tree! A Time Signature Activity for the Kodaly or Orff Classroom

I needed a time signature activity that was seasonal and more than just a "fill-in-the-blank" deal which is all that I had, and I wanted an activity I could use as a reinforcement and assessment of time signature and note lengths.

So enter--


And when I saw the trees and gift clip art, it was just too good to pass up!

I included both the traditional time signatures. . .


. . .and a simplified version many teachers (including myself) use when first introducing time signatures.


I kept the rhythms simple only using quarter note, half note, barred eighth notes, and quarter rest as I didn't want to bog students down too much with trying to figure out how many beats are happening.  We're still earlier in the year.  Maybe a trickier one for later. . . :-)



Students' job will be to work in small groups to match the gift measures to the correct time signature tree.

I"ll come back a different day with the same activity with the exception of seeing which group can get their gifts to the trees the quickest!

Then I'll have them compose their own four measure rhythms using the cards from the game.

And finally, I'll assign/have the groups choose the time signature they'd like to use and using the blank gifts I've included create their own four measure rhythms.

I think this series of games and activities will be a lot of fun while also reinforcing and putting into practice students' knowledge of time signatures and note values!

If you think so too just click on any of the pictures above and it will take you to my TpT store where I have this activity and many others for you to purchase.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment